Chewy Jetpack Im on a custom built desktop running windows 7. You prove your ignorance yet again. Don't be proud of it.
If you cared to read my brief outlay of why all of the above are functional (albeit the last) you would understand the my arguments more thoroughly.
And if you call yourself an artists based off similar drawings to the one pictured as your display picture, I weep for the modern definition of artist. Unless you are one of those people, you know, the ones who study a bachelor of arts, pontificate on the meaning of life and feel as if you stand on a plane of existence others just can't understand.
A quick look at your facebook tells me that you fancy yourself as an artist based of graffiti art. Whilst I am not one to admonish art, rather I would embrace it in all its forms. I just question, what functionality does your art serve? I would say it angers older generations and non-pulses the younger, other than that it is merely an unremarkable covering for an otherwise unremarkable wall
art is nice
practicality is nice
when attempting to design aesthetically pleasing yet functional work, do not sacrifice on functionality. this is why i fucking hate macs.
not governing rules of art, just expressing myself. that's what it's about right?
you're on a mac, i bet.
Chewy Jetpack thats a very cute and angry response, have I perhaps struck a nerve in your misunderstood, drug-addled brain? And I'll be sure to tell Sophocles, Prost, Aquinas and especially Descartes that their life's work was in vain, apparently the everlasting question haunting humanity has been solved by a "Fine art" student at the ripe old age of 18 whilst on hallucinogens.
To a point, I love how you dressed up your 'semi-professionalism" (in laymen's terms, you whipped up a website here and there on a strictly commission basis under no formal agreement).
And sorry, I can't say I've actually spent a few thousand dollars on a degree which equips me to understand the word 'baller'. As far as I'm concerned it means "A thug that has "made it" to the big time. Originally refered ball players that made it out of the streets to make millions as a pro ball player, but now is used to describe any thug that is living large." according to the urban dictionary in anycase.
Please, in the future, do not class graffiti as subtle, it is a medium which is designed to be as loud and "in yo face" (to use common vernacular - the words with which a socio-economic or other demographic class uses) as possible, I'll admit it does take some skill to use spray paint in such a manner as your facebook page illustrates, however usually this skill is demoted to simply writing a word, either a nickname of the illustrator or some other crude phrase.
Again you seem to bring this point back to being about a mac. I for one chose not to purchase a $2000 facebook machine, instead focusing on my wants and needs. I never once professed to have the greatest "rig" out there. It merely serves my purpose and nothing more.
Chewy Jetpack "art should not sacrifice practicality"?!! seriously? at what point has art ever once said "We attempt to be practical and aid humanity in their daily activities". Art is merely there to express imagination, thoughts, emotions and paradigms.
Being an Artist in itself grants you no right to determine the rules by which other artists should govern themselves.
additionally many of these ideas are in some way practical or serve a purpose.
1. It allows for additional space on an otherwise cramped table, I for one being a law student often have very little space on my desk and also cupholders would reduce the risk of spilling said drinks.
2. I imagine the cable would operate on the standard spool system which would retract upon itself
3. Yes it is a lamp, clap clap for you, its a lamp with artistic flair
4. the desk is the chair, designed for those with little need for chair movement. If the design doesnt suit your needs then don't buy it fool
5. For all you know the balloon could contain a battery pack thus powering the globe inside. And the reason for this is nostalgia, whimsy if you will, its a balloon, a symbol of joy, childhood and peace. Why does that make it stupid?
6.??? nice counting there
7. Its a filleting knife fool, designed to be more maneuverable that the common large handled knife.
8. As an artist I would have thought this would appeal to you most, I for one know of many purely sketch artists who would kill a nun for this set, additionally by placing it on the wall you create an aesthetically pleasing, and convenient display.
9. Whilst I would not personally want this, i can assume it is more for comedic value than actual use, it shows the fustration and utter exhaustion felt by many in the workforce. again whimsy and comedy.
3 of the objects you purely objected to because you didn't understand how they worked, additionally I would suggest that you move out of the artistic fields and into something more menial as your ability to interpret and illustrate human emotion seems flawed if you can't see the beauty in the simplicity of a floating balloon nightlight.
1: WTF, why can't you just put your cup on the TABLE?
2: potentially useful if you can find a way to get the cable back into the wall.
3: it's a lamp.
4: awesome. a desk that restricts chair movement.
5: that's just plain fucking stupid. what, is this supposed to be a substitute for normal lighting? how is it powered? why not just attach that shit to the ceiling and not have a string coming out of it? fucking retarded.
7: uuummm what the fuck is the bottom blade for? what should be the 'largest' knife looks like they just ran out of space and gave up on it.
8: always wanted shelves that only store pencils. versatile as fuck. who the fuck has that many pencils?
9: ah, I see! this one is so that you can suffocate yourself peacefully after giving up on life due to the first 8 retarded ideas. this one actually makes sense.
chill the fuck out man, they are not meant to make life easier, most are examples of post-modern art. Learn to live without focusing entirely on practicality and just enjoy things for what they are, like a balloon nightlight.
dont try to analyse my skill based on a fucking profile photo lol. i've studied fine art, graffiti art and currently study design as well as designing semi professionally for web (hence art/functionality). also dont even get me started on the meaning of life - i fucking solved that shit when i was 18 over the course of a 3 hour debate, in an eye-opening haze of various psychoactive substances. ive fucking SEEN THINGS. my art serves plenty of purposes from user interaction to just looking straight baller. also, don't even start trying to understand graffiti - it's an art of line refinement and subtlety which the average douche doesn't understand. maybe you should get a mac, it might suit you more. also my rig is better than yours.
ok, i just saw it:
1. australia - no wonder you know shit all about culture - you fucking have none.
2. bachelor of law - now i understand why you're an argumentative, arrogant little shit. you're just training up to become a slimey defence lawyer.
seriously kid, you have no idea what you're talking about.
1. my brains is not 'drug-addled'. wake up dude. look around online, do a bit of research and you'll start to understand that hallucinogenics have played a large part in history. don't try to brandish your uninformed, ignorant views on drug use as an argumentative tool, as you have no basis for said views. a strong trip can become one of the most significant experiences of a person's life - i'm not talking about 'getting wasted' here and there's no way to explain to some stupid child what it's like. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_experience
2. by 'semi-professionalism', i mean that i am currently studying for my degree and starting a digital media business on the side. i've worked for some of the worlds largest global companies doing web development and all my clients sign contracts. don't present assumption as fact.
3. yet again, you have no basis for your opinions about graffiti. i can tell you now as somebody who has been practising it as an art for 7 years that you really don't have a clue what you're talking about. one of the things that i like about graffiti is the amount it can help to develop skills in line drawing, beyond that of any regular painter. drawing letters on a wall is where it begins but it progresses far beyond that in regard to shape, proportion, angles and lines. the layman still sees some illegible text but those who have studies or practised graffiti properly will see a lot more. i know people who sell their art on canvas for hundreds, if not thousands. please learn to control your stupid, sheltered little head from spouting bullshit about subjects on which you have no real information.
4. you bragged about how your machine is 'custom built'. that means nothing to me. in regard to such bragging, i will simply state that mine is, in fact, superior. now stfu and stop talking shit when you are obviously a spoiled, sheltered, idiot child who still lives with his parents.
My first impression of Chewy Jetpack was that he (she? it? I'm not bothering to go look) is a self-righteous prick that's had all the whimsy sucked out of him/her, presumably as a child being molested by a relative. After reading a few more of their posts in this thread, I'm going to stick with that impression.