- Make sure your Permalink structure is set to “Post name.” This is different from the default, but makes it easier for search engines to find you.
- Make sure your domain is properly set. You can check this by going under Settings – General Settings to make sure your URL is reflected how you would like.
- Remove your stop words. These should be removed automatically, but it’s good to check.
- Make sure your title is optimized.
- Optimize your posts. They should contain the keywords that are most important for the post to be seen.
- Optimize your descriptions. Your meta descriptions are important and should also contain the main keyword of the post.
Once you have these main items taken care of, it’s time to focus on the little things that you may overlook. Keep in mind that image is everything. For that reason, you should make sure to optimize each and every image that is in your post. Using the correct alt attributes for your images can go a very long way. Additionally, using heading tags are important. Every blog title should be an <h1>, but you should also use the <h2> and <h3> tags sparingly. Here are a few other tricks you can use to optimize your WordPress site:
- Author highlighting
- Reorganize your sidebar
- Prevent indexing of archive pages
- Check your pagination
- Link to related posts
- Optimize and use your comment page to your advantage. When you respond to individuals who comment on your pages, you are engaging your audience which leads to more people coming to your site.
It goes without saying that if you have a blog, you must utilize social media to the fullest. If you have commenter’s on your site, follow them on social media and interact. Make sure your posts are also being posted on your social media pages to get the most out of your efforts. Look for related blogs, and post your own thoughts and insights. Others will start to listen to you and visit your blog to see what you have to offer.
Always take the time to measure your results and see where you can make things better. This may seem like a lot, but once you get things set in motion, your routine will flow effortlessly. For more tips on design and optimization, talk to the experts at DesignSpinners today!